Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer reading- for fun not becasue someone said we had to

I know I said good bye... but I miss you guys. Besides, who else will talk about books with me?  I'm seeking recommendations for good, fun reads.  I'm working on two books right now:

Sebastian Junger's War.-  He's the guy who wrote The Perfect Storm... great writer.  And I feel like I ought to know more about what's happening in Afghanistan.  For the most part, I like it.  Fast paced, relevant, and interesting.  But he uses a lot of military acronyms that I don't know.  And there are a ton of places, so I'm continually flipping to the map at the front of the book. If anyone else trys this one, I suggest making a character list to use as a bookmark...because there are many many characters and I'm struggling to keep them all straight.

The Glassblower of Murano-  a breezy read that doesn't require much thinking.  Perfect for the first days out of vacation.... and on sale at Bookshop Santa Cruz.  It's one of those historical fiction pieces that seem to be very popular these days in which there are two parallel stories... one set in the past and one in the present.

So, friends, what do you suggest next?  I'm open to anything, but am mostly seeking great Young Adult Fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment